On Friday, April 4, Auburn Vintage Market’s first market was shut down by the university. The event, held on the Haley Concourse, was originally set to last from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., but was shut down around 10:30 a.m.
The market had been advertised in multiple locations, including the Auburn Event Calendar, flyers around campus, the market’s Instagram account and a preview done by Eagle Eye T.V.
Before the market was shut down, the Haley Concourse was a sea of one-of-a-kind treasures. Racks on racks of vintage clothing and accessories lined the concourse, with shoppers milling about trying to get their hands on the unique pieces.
“From what we understand, the market got shut down because we didn’t have the correct permits, or the woman in charge of doing the permits isn’t here today, so they told us to shut it down. It’s really unfortunate,” said Gabby Paddick, vendor with Recycled Bling.
According to Paddick, each vendor had to pay a vendor fee prior to the event, which ranged between $100 to $300. Paddick and her crew drove from Charlotte, North Carolina, for today’s market, and they even rented a hotel room for the visit.
“We feel very sad about the event getting shut down. We were really looking forward to exploring Auburn and tapping into a new market — we’ve never been to Alabama before. We woke up at 4 a.m. and set up was at 6 a.m. This event would have been really good if it didn’t get shut down. This probably would have been one of our best,” Paddick said.
Other vendors shared Paddick’s frustration about the event getting shut down. Many had driven hours and were discouraged to see their hard work was going to waste.
“I think it’s pretty dumb — all the students love what’s going on here. I haven’t had any bad complaints, other than from the staff members here,” said a vendor who wished to remain anonymous.
A vendor stands in front of his tent at the Auburn Vintage Market on April 4, 2024, before the event was shut down.
Vendors were not the only ones upset about the shut down. Many Auburn students attended the market and expressed their annoyance with its sudden end.
“I actually just heard that they were talking about shutting it down. Yeah, I think it’s kind of, I don’t know, sad and kind of unfair that they’re shutting it down,” said Shea Fagan, freshman in nutrition dietetics.
Before the market got shut down, Fagan had bought herself a pair of jean shorts and a denim jacket. She was looking forward to browsing more booths.
“I think the market’s really great because it gives people a chance to shop and, like, see the different vintage markets and sellers out here. Yeah, I think it’s sad they’re shutting it down,” Fagan said.
The event organizer, London Plourde, was frantically doing damage control and telling vendors to pack up their booths. His roommate, Ayden Grzybowski, explained that Plourde was excited for the event and had put a lot of work into it.
“[Plourde] has been working on this for a while, and he finally got it all approved and then [he was] super excited about it. Apparently it has to go through a third party, and it didn’t go through that, but facilities and the people who approved this didn’t say anything about that. Basically, it’s a safety hazard, like if a fire truck needs to go through here. Nobody said anything about that,” Grzybowski said.
Many students were commenting on how other clubs and organizations are allowed to table on the Haley Concourse, and they were confused as to why this event was any different.
Enjoy what you’re reading? Get content from The Auburn Plainsman delivered to your inbox
Auburn University officials could be seen walking from vendor to vendor telling them to pack up their things and leave by 11:15 a.m.
“Right now, like, this is a fire and safety issue. The concourse is completely blocked,” said Andrea Conti-Elkins, manager of Student Center Reservations and Info Desk, to a vendor at the market.
Sam Vise | Assistant Culture Editor
University officials talk to police about the Vintage Market getting shut down on Friday, April 4, 2025.
At 11:08 a.m., an Auburn police officer arrived at the scene and began speaking with a group of Auburn University staff.
“It’s a nightmare,” said one Auburn University official to the officer.
Assistant Vice President of Campus Security and Compliance Clarence J. C. Stewart issued a statement to The Auburn Plainsman:
“Earlier today, Campus Safety was contacted by staff at the Melton Student Center regarding the Auburn Vintage Market, which was being set up on the Haley Concourse near the Auburn University Bookstore. Although the event appeared on the Auburn University events calendar, it was not submitted or approved through the Campus Event Planning System, which is required for all campus activities.Upon assessment, multiple safety and compliance concerns were identified:
- Pedestrian safety and emergency access: Vendor setup obstructed key pedestrian pathways, designated egress routes for Haley Center, and fire department access routes.
- Security risks: The event involved 30–40 vendors conducting cash transactions without any on-site security personnel.
- Trademark and licensing: The merchandise had not undergone the required review by the Office of Trademark & Licensing to ensure compliance with university standards.
- Risk management: No vendor agreements or certificates of insurance had been submitted for review.
- Space use and oversight: No space reservations were on file, and no designated Auburn University sponsor or point of contact was associated with the event.
In light of these significant safety, risk, and compliance issues, representatives from Risk Management & Safety, Campus Safety & Security, and the Melton Student Center discontinued the event.We appreciate the campus community’s understanding and cooperation as we work to maintain a safe, secure, and well-coordinated environment for all Auburn University events. Please visit the Campus Event Planning System website for questions regarding event planning or approval processes.”
This is an on-going story. The Auburn Plainsman will continue to update information as it is provided.
Do you like this story? The Plainsman doesn’t accept money from tuition or student fees, and we don’t charge a subscription fee. But you can donate to support The Plainsman.
Sam Vise | Assistant Culture Editor
Sam Vise, senior in journalism, is the Assistant Culture Editor for The Auburn Plainsman. She has previously served as a culture writer and community reporter.
Share and discuss “Auburn Vintage Market shut down by university” on social media.