Father and daughter killed after tornado hits Fayette County home; 3 other family members injured

  • A father and his 16-year-old daughter were killed after a tornado struck their modular home in Fayette County, Tennessee.
  • The mother and two other family members were injured and transported to the hospital.
  • At least two other weather-related deaths were reported in Tennessee.

A father and daughter were among the four weather-related deaths reported Thursday in Tennessee.

Fayette County Chief Deputy Raymond Garcia said the two were killed after a tornado struck a modular home on Sweet Road outside of Moscow, about 45 miles from Downtown Memphis. Three others were injured.

“At 1:46 a.m. the Fayette County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched on a call from a resident on Sweet Road advising that a house had been struck by a tornado and the occupants were missing,” Garcia said.

A 48-year-old man was pronounced dead on the scene, and his 16-year-old daughter died later in the hospital.

The mother, 46, was transported to the hospital in critical condition and two other family members were transported in stable condition.

The tornado’s destruction was absolute. On Thursday afternoon, personal belongings, clothes and debris were strewn across the property and field across the street. Thanks to the heavy rainfall, most personal effects were soaked in the marshy yard. Others had landed dozens of feet high in the dead branches of nearby trees.

A relative of the family searched through the remains of their home Thursday afternoon. The man declined to comment.

Two others are confirmed dead in Tennessee so far — one in McNairy County and another in Obion County, following the storm system that brought tornadoes, heavy rain and flooding to the state.

Damage in nearby Marshall County in Mississippi

Across the state line from Fayette County in Mississippi’s Marshall County, the Red Cross, local fire department and sheriff’s office had set up a temporary command center inside Slayden Baptist Church.

Pastor Jeff Thomas said eight to 10 people who were displaced by the storm were taking shelter in the church. He noted about 200 plates of food had been handed out so far, about 150 of those to first responders.

Marshall County Sheriff’s Deputy David Cook said the department had been out assessing the area since 1 a.m.

“We have 96 structures damaged, from minimal to complete destruction,” Cook said. “We have FEMA here, the Red Cross is here, so we’re establishing this here as food distribution for victims and first responders, so we’ll be here throughout the night and tomorrow.”

According to Mississippi Emergency Management Agency’s preliminary assessment, 40 homes were damaged in Marshall County.

No fatalities have been reported in Mississippi thus far, though Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves confirmed six people were injured, including one in Marshall County.

Jacob Wilt is a reporter for The Commercial Appeal covering DeSoto County, as well as Dining in the Memphis area. You can reach him at[email protected].

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *