Ford Motors announced new discounted pricing for prospective customers Thursday, on the heels of President Donald Trump‘s sweeping tariff plan, which includes a 25 percent tariff on auto imports.
Newsweek reached out to Ford via email for comment on Thursday.
Why It Matters
The president announced on Wednesday that the U.S. will impose tariffs on more than 180 countries. There will be a 10 percent “baseline” tariff on all imports, Trump said.
He also singled out about 60 countries, including some of the U.S.’s top trading partners, for what he described as “discounted reciprocal tariffs” above 10 percent. The president said those countries will face higher tariffs because he believes they engage in unfair trade practices.
Trump touted his announcement as “liberation day” for the U.S., while economists and experts warn the sweeping tariffs will negatively affect American consumers and risk plunging the global economy into a recession.
The president also previously announced that the U.S. would impose a 25 percent tariff on auto imports, which went into effect midnight Thursday.
What To Know
Ford Motors highlighted its “employee pricing” offer in an announcement on the company’s website.
The offer applies to many of the brand’s popular models including the Mustang, Bronco, Bronco Sport, F-150, F-150 Lightning, Expedition and Lincoln Navigator. The offer applies to U.S. residents only, the website said.
Ford also linked to participating dealerships and a full list of its vehicle offers. According to Reuters, the automaker builds 80 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. within the country, shielding it, in part, from the impact of Trump’s tariff policy.
While speaking with Fox News, Ford’s chief policy officer, Steve Croley, said the employee pricing offer is “worth thousands of dollars.”
“This is kind of they call a little bit of a timeout, we’ve heard some … uncertainty from our customers and … we want them to be assured that Ford, the most American auto company is going to do right by them as are dealers,” Croley said.
Vehicles can be seen on the lot of a Ford auto dealership in Montebello, California on April 1, 2025. (Photo by Frederic J. BROWN / AFP) (Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images) Vehicles can be seen on the lot of a Ford auto dealership in Montebello, California on April 1, 2025. (Photo by Frederic J. BROWN / AFP) (Photo by FREDERIC J. BROWN/AFP via Getty Images)
What People Are Saying
The White House posted on X, formerly Twitter, on Thursday: “🇺🇸 @Ford will offer employee pricing to all US shoppers: “‘For 121 years, we’ve put our money where our mouth is, assembling vehicles that Americans rely on and supporting American jobs,’ Ford said in a statement.'”
X user “johnnymaga” wrote on Thursday: “The ‘experts’ told us that tariffs would be passed on the consumers as massive taxes. Ford just announced employee pricing to all U.S. customers for the next few months. Trump was right again. Americans are not bearing the brunt of these tariffs.”
Republican Representative Tim Burchett of Tennessee wrote on X Thursday: “Great news for consumers. @Ford is offer employee pricing to folks for 2 months after @realDonaldTrump tariff news.”
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lee Zeldin wrote on X on Thursday: “🔥General Motors just announced it is increasing truck production in Indiana and Ford will now be offering employee pricing to all U.S. customers.”
What Happens Next
Ford’s employee pricing offer runs until June 2, according to the company’s website.