A Ford dealership in East Greenbush, New York. Photo:
Angus Mordant/Bloomberg via Getty
Ford Motor Co. is offering huge discounts on most of its vehicles amid President Donald Trump‘s new global tariffs taking effect.
With many companies hiking prices to absorb tariff costs, Ford is offering its employee-pricing plan — a discounted rate available to its workers — to all U.S. customers until June 2, according to Reuters.
The company said it has high inventory and is in a position to bring in new customers ahead of the impact that will be felt due to the tariffs, which Trump, 78, said would be placed on imported cars and imported auto parts, per The Detroit Free Press.
The move is part of the company’s new “From America, For America” ad campaign to highlight its U.S. manufacturing, according to the outlet. The campaign — which was launched on Thursday, April 3, the same day Trump’s tariffs were enacted on the auto industry — will run in print media, on TV and on social media, Rob Kaffl, Ford’s director of U.S. sales said.
Ford was founded in Detroit in 1903 and its headquarters lie on the outskirts of the city.
President Donald Trump signing an executive order creating reciprocal tariffs at the White House on April 2. Michael Brochstein/ZUMA Press
“We’ve got a very healthy stock,” Kaffl told The Detroit Free Press of being able to afford to offer the discount to the public. “We’re in a very competitive position in our stock. And the auto sector, and overall public, has seen a lot of uncertainty in the market right now especially in the automotive space. So we feel by providing this message in ‘From America, For America,’ we’re providing some security.”
“You pay what we pay,” Kaffl added.
According to a Ford dealer, per the outlet, an F-150 XLT hybrid pickup that has a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of $65,000 would cost $55,000 with the discount.
The PEOPLE Puzzler crossword is here! How quickly can you solve it? Play now!
On April 2, the White House announced that Trump will impose a 10% baseline tariff on all countries seeking to import goods to the United States. Many countries will face the base rate, while other items from about 60 trade partners, including China and the European Union, will face higher rates after being described as the “worst offenders” of trade policies deemed unfair by the White House, the BBC reported.
This followed Trump announcing 25% duties on all auto imports last week, according to Reuters.
A Ford dealership in Alberta, Canada. Artur Widak/NurPhoto via Getty
However, even though Ford has the largest manufacturing footprint in the U.S. of any automaker and builds 80% of its U.S.-sold vehicles domestically, according to the outlet, Ford CEO Jim Farley said the company is likely to still feel the impact of the tariffs.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
In a memo sent to staff on March 27, per The Detriot Fress Press, Farley wrote, “While Ford supports the president’s vision of building a stronger auto industry and manufacturing base in the United States, the situation is dynamic and the impacts of the tariffs are likely to be significant across our industry — affecting automakers, suppliers, dealers and customers.”
PEOPLE has reached out to Ford for comment.